Makes: 4 | Prep Time: 10 min. | Cook Time: 10 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups black lentils
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat oil in a 4 to 5 quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Saute onion, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, cumin and salt and saute, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils and broth.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Add water if additional liquid is needed.