Makes: 4 | Prep Time: 30 min. | Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min.
- Canola oil spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (about 1/2 pound) cubed cooked or leftover turkey breast
- 2 medium butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds each), halved lengthwise, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- COAT a 4-quart baking dish with canola oil spray.
- HEAT the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the bell pepper and onion. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the barley, sage, and black pepper and stir to combine well.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- ADD the turkey and squash and continue to simmer for 15 minutes more or until all of the broth is absorbed and the squash is tender. If the mixture seems too dry, add an additional 1/4 cup of broth or water.
- PREHEAT the oven to 350 degrees.
- TRANSFER the mixture to the prepared baking dish and top with the cheese. Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, until the cheese is golden.