Makes: 6 | Prep Time: 25 min. | Cook Time: 25 min.
- 8 black mission figs, rinsed, dried, and stems removed
- 2 dried chiles (use any medium-heat chile, such as ancho)
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 12 ounces whole wheat fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- a few sprigs of fresh mint or flat leaf parsley, for garnish (opt)
- Cut figs in quarters or eighths, depending on size (about 1 to 2 cups, depending on size of figs).
- Place figs cut-side up on a plate.
- Tear the chiles into small pieces, discarding the seeds and stems; measure about 1 tablespoon torn chiles to use in this recipe.* Sprinkle the chile pieces over the figs and set aside.
- Grate the zest of both lemons and squeeze the juice of one lemon. Stir the lemon zest and juice into the yogurt and set it aside.
- Cook the fettuccine in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, or al dente.In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
- Add the figs and saute for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the chile and season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue to saute for 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Drain the fettuccine. Return to pot. Stir in the lemon and yogurt mixture and the Parmesan cheese. Transfer pasta to a serving platter and spoon the fig and chile mixture over the top.
- Garnish with the sprigs of mint or parsley and serve immediately.