Makes: 5 | Prep Time: 15 min. | Cook Time: 20 min.
- 12 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1-3/4 cups sliced leeks, cleaned
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded (optional)
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- CLEAN and prep your leeks -- make sure to rinse out grit inside the folds. Add pesto ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- COOK pasta according to package directions.
- TOSS the warm pasta in the pesto sauce. Cover and set aside.
- CLEAN and slice your remaining leek. Turn heat to medium-high and add olive oil to your saute pan. When oil is hot, add the peas and leeks. Saute until the leeks become tender and frozen peas are heated through. Reduce heat to medium and add the pepper and lemon juice. Toss for a few more minutes and remove from heat.
- PLATE your pasta and add the peas and leeks around the pasta.