Makes: 8 | Prep Time: min. | Cook Time: min.
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped sweet onion, Maui onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces portobello mushrooms, diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (beef flavored), hot
- 1 cup white wine or additional vegetable broth
- 2 medium red skin potatoes, par boiled, quartered and peeled
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 1 cup soymilk lite
- 1/3 cup mellow white miso (or other light-colored miso)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 rounded Tbsp. onion soup mix
- Heat oil in a 5-quart saucepan, add onions, garlic and bell pepper, saute 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, cook 5 minutes, add wine, hot broth and reduce heat to low. Add potatoes and simmer mixture 25 minutes.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan, over medium high heat, 30 seconds. Add flour, stirring to form a roux. Whisk in soymilk. Stir until sauce thickens. Set aside. Scoop 2/3 of the veggies from the soup into a food processor; blend until smooth. Add miso and blend again. Scrape mixture back into soup, stirring until blended.
- Whisk in white sauce and mix thoroughly. While stirring, over medium heat, add yeast along with onion soup mix and heat just until soup comes to a boil. Remove from heat and serve.